Rapper Silentó, known for the Nae Nae dance, is charged with murdering his cousin

(CNN)Silentó, the Atlanta rapper known for the hit single and viral dance “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae),” was arrested and charged with murder in the shooting death of his cousin, authorities said.
The 23-year-old, whose real name is Ricky Lamar Hawk, was arrested Monday after police investigated the death of his 34-year-old cousin, Frederick Rooks, according to a statement from the DeKalb County Police Department.
Police responded to a call about a shooting on January 21 and found Rooks with multiple gunshot wounds lying on a road in the Atlanta area suburb of Panthersville, according to an incident report from DeKalb County police. Rooks was pronounced dead at the scene, the report stated.
Security camera footage from nearby homes captured at least one gunshot before several vehicles fled the scene at high speeds, according to the report.
Police said in a statement that Silentó was later identified as a suspect.
Investigators have not yet determined a motive for the shooting.
Silentó was booked into jail on Monday and is currently being held there on a murder charge, jail records show. Authorities charged him with felony murder.
CNN has reached out to representatives for Silentó.
Silentó has faced several run-ins with the law in recent months.
Last October, the rapper was arrested in Atlanta after driving 143 mph in a 65-mph zone, according to a DeKalb County Police Department incident report. He was given citations for reckless driving, speeding, failure to maintain lane and improper stopping, jail records show. The charges are still pending, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
He was charged in September in Los Angeles with threatening two people with a hatchet. Prosecutors said that he reportedly walked into a stranger’s unlocked home on August 29 and attempted to hit two people with a hatchet before one of them disarmed him. Silentó pleaded not guilty, and the case is still pending, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

LOS ANGELES, CA – JUNE 26: Rapper Silento attends the 2016 BET Awards at the Microsoft Theater on June 26, 2016 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images)

Blogs

TEYANA TAYLOR TO HAVE THROAT SURGERY

TEYANA TAYLOR TO HAVE THROAT SURGERY

Teyana Taylor told her fans that she needs to have emergency throat surgery. In her IG Story posted on Wednesday, Taylor said her doctor found a non-cancerous growth on one of her vocal cords. Taylor said she had been dealing with voice problems and some discomfort for a while. She’s glad that doctors caught the…

MEGAN THEE STALLION TO HOST NEW SERIES

MEGAN THEE STALLION TO HOST NEW SERIES

Megan Thee Stallion just added a couple more titles to her resume. The Hot Girl Coach is slated to star in a new K-pop competition series for Apple TV+ alongside Psy. It’s called KPopped. The concept is simple — Western artists team up with K-pop stars to reimagine some of their hits. The Western artists…

DIDDY WANTS OUT OF JAIL BEFORE SENTENCING

DIDDY WANTS OUT OF JAIL BEFORE SENTENCING

Attorneys for Sean “Diddy” Combs are trying to get their client released before his October sentencing. On Tuesday, Diddy’s lawyers petitioned Judge Arun Subramanian to release Combs on a $50 million bond and allow him to live in his Miami mansion. Combs is currently awaiting sentencing in Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center. Earlier this month, Combs…

MUSIC CITY ICON GAIL MASONDO PASSES ON

MUSIC CITY ICON GAIL MASONDO PASSES ON

All of us plant seeds. And the thing about those seeds is you never know where they will sprout or how much of a harvest they will manifest. Because Gail Hamilton Masondo was my mother, I know, for certain, that when she moved to Nashville, she had absolutely no idea of the kind mark that…