High pressure will build into Middle Tennessee to start the work week bringing dangerous heat along with it.High temperatures are expected to be in the mid-90s both Monday and Tuesday, but “feels like” temperatures will soar into the triple digits and bring storms, some severe on Tuesday.
During the hottest part of the day, it’s recommended that you limit outdoor activities, drink plenty of water, wear light clothing, and never leave pets, children, or the elderly alone inside parked vehicles.
AR-15 Gunman on the Run After Getting Out of Car & Killing 2 on Houston Freeway
- A man with an AR-15 shot two people dead on a freeway in Houston during evening rush hour on Thursday.
- Two cars heading east on Interstate 10 crashed into one another before a man got out of one car and fired multiple rounds at the other vehicle.
- Narcotics were found in the car containing the two victims, both described as middle-aged black men.
- “Road rage? An accident? Narcotics? We just don’t know,” says Houston Police assistant chief Bobby Dobbins.
- After the shooting, the suspect–described as a Latino male–got into his car and sped away.
- As of Friday morning, he remains at large.
MURDER SUSPECT CAPTURED
Escaped inmate Curtis Watson has been captured in Henning after five days on the run. He escaped from the West Tennessee State Penitentiary on August 7. The inmate is accused of strangling TDOC Administrator Debra Johnson the morning of his escape. The Tennessee Department of Corrections have announced funeral arrangements for Correctional Administrator Debra Johnson. A visitation will be held Thursday, August 15, at 15th Avenue Baptist Church in Nashville from 3 p.m. – 7 p.m. A service will be held the following day at The Temple Church on Kings Lane at 10 a.m.
Accused Sex Trafficker Jeffrey Epstein Commits Suicide in Jail
- Accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein committed suicide in his jail cell in New York City over the weekend.
- The money manager was found unresponsive in his cell and was soon pronounced dead at the age of 66.
- He apparently tried to commit suicide last month after he was denied bail. AP reports that Epstein’s suicide watch had been lifted at the end of July.
- Guards in his unit were working extreme overtime shifts due to staffing shortages the morning of his death, and did not check on him every 30 minutes as they were supposed to.
- Epstein faced felony charges for allegedly running a sex-trafficking ring with girls as young as 14.
- Some of Esptein’s high-profile associates included Donald Trump, Bill Clinton and Victoria’s Secret owner Leslie Wexner.
MTSU NAMES AMONG BEST COLLEGES IN THE US
Middle Tennessee State University was named among the best colleges in the United States for the first time ever. The Princeton Review’s “Best 385 Colleges” list included the local university. The honor is given to about 13 percent of four-year schools across the nation. The University of Tennessee-Knoxville was the only other public institution in the state to make the list.